Saturday, August 9, 2008

Academic eBooks

Having been the owner of the Cybook Gen 3 for some days, I have fallen completely in love with the ease of buying an eBook. Books not available in my city, which could have taken 2-3 weeks from the time of ordering, are at my finger tops just within minutes!

All kinds of books are available in the Gen 3 supported formats, novels, science fiction, love, etc. However, the category (no pun intended) of books that I seek, stay unseen. I am talking about academic books, books on Category Theory, Support Vector Machines, and other parts of Computer Science. Searching the net desperately, I found some eBooks on Finite Automata and Cellular Automata. However, other sciences seem to be over represented in the set of eBooks.

By a sheer coincidence, I found Taylor & Francis, an eBook store specializing in Academia. Here, I also observed that Computer Science is gravely under-represented. In total, the catalogue of academic titles is quite thin and should be expanded.

I will try to contact some of the publishers and ask them if it's possible to buy their books in Secure Mobipocket format.

Conclusively:
There are far too few academic titles available in eBook format, more should be added, given that academic books tend to range 400 - 900 pages, it would be a considerable improvement in terms of sustainability to keep these pages digital.

/Gf

No comments: